04 December 2016

Seventies Nightie Chic


I've gotten into the habit of, when a loved piece of clothing finally wears beyond repair, clipping a swatch of the fabric to keep. So, when my favourite cotton nightshirt completely fell apart this summer I cut a square of the blue paisley from the hem for future use. I knew I wanted it to be a paper doll dress.

Examining the swatch last weekend, I was reminded of those patchwork skirts and vests the older girls wore when I was a child in the 70's. Have you seen them? They were fashioned from shades of denim and various red and blue handkerchiefs? Add gold hoop earrings and sandals. I thought those girls were so pretty.

This is my little craft homage to the style. Instead of handkerchiefs and denim, we have wrapping paper, magazine clipping, and nightie scrap. Ephemera made on a gloomy afternoon.



No comments: