23 May 2016

Yarnify That

While in Chicago, I had to visit a yarn store! Luckily, I found Yarnify via the hotel advertising guide. It was even within walking distance of my location. Yarnify is a bright space with friendly, helpful staff. They carry a great variety of weights and fibers. As always when travelling, I was in search of something I had never seen before - souvenir yarn. I found it in this pack of Wonderland Yarns (from Vermont). These 5 skein, 640 yard, packs of fingering weight merino came in many colour combinations but of course I chose the gradient red. This will make a luscious shawl.


The store had a shelf, marked 'FREE', of old magazines and flyers. Flipping through it I found the Spring/Summer 1987 Vogue Knitting. And I love eighties sweaters!! I offered money for it but they said they just wanted the books to go to good homes. How delightful.

This issue is a gem. Naturally, some loud colours, over sized bodies and floppy sleeves are present. But check out these lovely designs:

The cotton in this pullover reminds me of Americo's Cotton Flamme.

Cute cardigans with dresses and skirts are always a favourite.
(Side note: I tried this hairstyle in the 80's - to disastrous effect.)

Wow!. And it's cotton. I want this deep waist rib top now.

I've been looking for a simple loose pullover. I don't wear contrasting
stripes myself so I'd use a single colour while keeping the texture.
I am mad for dropped sleeves.
They are out of 'vogue' these days but are still so flattering.
Yes, this is an article by Elizabeth Zimmerman!
This magazine was truly a find. I had heard of EZ's faux seams before.
Now I have the source material.




No comments: