17 November 2010

Look What I Found



I came across this gem yesterday while browsing my magazine shelf. This Scheepjeswol Winter 1982/83 is the first pattern book I ever bought.  I was living in Kingston at the time, attending Queen's University.  Scheepjes had a retail store back then, right downtown on Princess Street. I timidly went in one afternoon looking for a pattern to knit myself a sweater in school colours. Gosh I remember pouring over the photos and instructions for hours before finally knitting  a pullover using cheap, department store acrylic. Feeling more confident from the experience, I bought two colours of the actual brand name yarn, and knit pattern 894 for the Boyfriend. Wonder if he still has it?


Is it just me or is the styling here still gorgeous today?  It's so very wintery.  The shapes are a bit boxy but heck, it was the eighties and anyway, boxy isn't always bad.  I love the drop shoulders and the earthy textures. In fact, with the currently falling temperatures, cardigan 904 is looking very knittable right about now  Check out the half gloves and the stylish flare of thick socks and scarves.  And oh how I wish, I wish soft and luscious, thick corduroy pants would come back in style.



1 comment:

Christy J said...

I still have my copy too. And all the other 80's books from Pingouin and Phildar too. They're still great to browse.