28 November 2008
23 November 2008
It's the final package from my Secret Pal 12. Included was a note of apology for the lateness. Her sewing machine broke! so the gifts she was making by hand for me! were held up. Check out the two gorgeous hand made project bags. These babies are lined. And have zippers. Magical voodoo sewing skills both. Yes, beside the chopsticks, that is Noro sock yarn peeking out of the whimsically Asian inspired bag. There's also a yarn I'd never heard of - Kertzer On Your Toes Bamboo. It's 75% bamboo, 25% nylon sock weight yarn that is lustrous and decadently soft. It's all too much to take in. There's chocolate, tea, knitting needles and bath products. Thank you, thank you to Heather of Ewe Gotta Knit.
21 November 2008
My new Secret Pal expressed curiosity about my paper dolls. Here is their current wardrobe as they hang on the living room wall. From left to right, The Daughter made the first and second dresses. I made the third and fourth. We change them about once a week. It's renewable art! Yes, I know it's odd but I don't care.
19 November 2008
Has anyone else heard of this?? The officially declared International Year of Natural Fibres? It's freakin excellent.
Upon discovery of this site, I immediately emailed my friend who works for the UN. Sadly, he doesn't work in this division. He's in the puny Development branch, saving the world by promoting peace and prosperity... or some such. However he agrees with me that sheep can probably save the world. He also interprets this initiative as further proof of the relevancy of the United Nations. Yay for sustainable agriculture.
What I want to know is: How can I join the jute study group? For now, I'm just subscribing to the email list.
16 November 2008
I'm doing the latest round of Secret Pal . This feels weird because my last Secret Pal still has not revealed herself Who are you??
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I really like cotton blends more and more. Cotton with silk, with viscose, linen, wool, nylon. I saw a beautiful new South American one recently that was cotton/alpaca. Gorgeous.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Everybody lives in peace in my divided desk drawer. I've recently started keeping the circs, still in the original plastic sleeves, in one of those dollar store drawstring fabric gift bags. It works very well.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
Knitting since childhood (taught by Mom) but seriously for about five years. I now and forever will consider myself to be intermediate. I know too many amazingly gifted knitters to ever call myself advanced.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
5. What's your favorite scent?
Sandalwood. I also like lavender, citrus and bergamot. I'm not fond of smelling like desserts such as vanilla and strawberry.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
My downfall is the salty, greasy side of the spectrum and I'm trying to correct that. However, I do enjoy a lovely sweet now and then! Chocolate? Gumdrops? Mmmm... No cookies please as I am wheat sensitive.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
No spinning. I took a crochet class recently and made a wonky looking facecloth! I dabble in beads, making my own stitch markers. I still like making paper doll clothes and am always on the lookout for fun paper and embellishments.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I have eclectic taste. Don't like hard core country or hip hop.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
Still into the jewel tones - purple, red, blue, purple, rose, purple, dark green, purple.
till find yellow icky.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Right now it's just me and The Daughter (14). We hope to adopt a cat soon.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Lace, mitts, wrist warmers, tops, doll clothes and on and on....
I would never knit an afghan or one of those toilet paper covers.
13. What are you knitting right now?
A Fiona Ellis designed tank top, socks and gloves..
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes, of course.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I change it up depending on the project and the yarn. I like pretty needles and sometimes just buy a set because they look so darn cute.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
No. Boo hoo.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
6 months old.
18. What winrter holidays do you observe?
I celebrate Christmas.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Attempts at life simplification have led to the disposal of many old collections. I do however, continue to acquire vintage knitting books and magazines from the
50's, 60's and 70's.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
No subscriptions at present. I do like Rebecca and wouldn't mind some current issues.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I'd like to learn basic colour work and I still need more expansion of my cast on methods.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yup! Size 8 shoe.
23. When is your birthday?
June 6. I am a proud Gemini. I notice that many of my knitting friends are Gemini as well. What do you think that means?
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
I am but I hardly ever go on the site. I'm longyarn.