06 September 2008

Casting on A New One

I've begun the Leaf Tank from this year's Spring/Summer Vogue Knitting. It's designed by Fiona Ellis with whom I once knit but I didn't know it was her at the time. She's very nice.
I'm using the Ella Rae Silkience I bought at the flood sale. I just had to start something with this right away and I believe there's just enough of this Colour 07 (They call it purple but, to me it looks more like very deep rose.) It's hard to see in the photo but I'm edging it with a few rows of black. I picked up one ball in case the six purple weren't enough. I'm liking the effect. It gives the lace a slightly more formal look which will be great for the office.
I'm struggling with my anxiety the past few days. Ninety five percent of the time I feel well. I know my decision to leave my crappy marriage was absolutely the right thing to do. Yet, every once in a while, all the sudden change overwhelms me and my old patterns of fearfulness and negative thinking re-surface. Now, I know this sounds silly, but it is especially at these times that I need to be knitting something like this. Working with soft, beautifully coloured fiber calms me down. It's my occupational therapy. How can I be tense with this lace passing through my hands?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

so pretty ... that yarn is lovely, the colour gorgeous and will be very striking on you!

I use knitting as therapy too ... whenever I am having a rough day/week/month (for whatever reason), I can be found knitting until my hands ache ... it does calm a person down, and it is easy to forget whatever you have been stressing about when something soft and pretty is flowing through your fingers and emerging as something softer and prettier dangling from your needles. It will get better -- this is all a fresh thing, and you are going through a lot right now ... it will get better, but it will take time.

Wishing you a great weekend, and some good knitting!

Take care,
Your secret pal!

Yvette said...

Thanks SP!

alt.ayu said...

I really love the color and it looks perfect for the pattern!

I never knew I could do anything to relieve stress. for one thing, i never believed I was ever stressed but it was probably a lie I keep telling myself. Ever since I started knitting more regularly, I find that I get less tension headaches (although I still do get them) and I'm just basically a little happier than before. I hope your project helps to sooth those frazzled emotions and that you'll feel much better and more confident soon~

hugs,
Adrianne aka Ayumi~

Sunny said...

Knitting is very theraputic. The feel of the soft wool (or whatever one is using) always makes me feel better. This project is beautiful. The black edging is a nice, edgy touch on a more classic piece. I really like it and can't wait to see a picture of the final product.

Knitter from New Brunswick